Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pop goes the weasels

What is the deal with all these fireworks? I am all for tolerance on the night of the 4th, but the idiots in my neighborhood started up on Friday and kept going right on through yesterday. I wish Darwin were a bit more effective, because the politicians and law enforcement certainly aren't stepping up to the plate. Thank god we had enough rain to keep homes from burning. Why are all the Cletuses and Bubbas so fired up about these things. I know, when I was a kid, if someone we knew were lucky enough to be driving North they might get a few firecrackers from just over the Alabama line, but that was a rare treat indeed. But nowadays the loophole has made liars and petty criminals out of a great number of people in our community, and half the people on my block have the Super Duper Exlosive Extravaganza pack. How is it these parents find it quite ok to show their kids it's ok to lie when circumstances aren't what youd like them. Its ok to say we're scaring off the crows tonight Johnny, light that Roman Candle. Little Suzy use that firecracker to go mine that anthill. There's also the litter and the noise violations. I'm all for the rocket's red glare, but in a professional setting, not my neighbor saying, hold my Bud and watch this.

And I know that it should be Pop Go the Weasels

4 Comments:

Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

I think you should take action to curb these firework enthusiasts. Start a revolution. Throw off the shackles of the Federal State and start making your own law, immediatley banning nonproffesional fireworketeers. It would be a revolution worth revolting for, and worth celebrating too, perhaps with some kind of Independence Day.

06 July, 2006 08:04  
Blogger Grumpy said...

Perhaps you are unfamilar with the law here kind sir. In ye olde fiefdom of Florida fireworks are only legal for purchase for the purpose scaring away pests or mining. So our illustrious leaders in their infinite wisdom have seen fit that no verification of use is required, merely signing a legal instrument stating that the purchaser will use them for one of the aforementioned legal activities. Henceforth unless the folks in my neighborhood are mining or scaring off agricultural pests, they are breaking the law. Not my law.

06 July, 2006 08:19  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

Pests or mining - that's brilliant. You'd think the authorities would be a bit worried about subsidence or the plague, given how many people seem to either take up mining or take on pests around 4th July in the state of Florida. I can just imagine the shopkeeper's conversations - "this isn't for entertainment use is it?" "Oh no, purely for mining purposes. That's right, I just know there's gold to be had in that there back yard of mine."

I still think a revolution is in order.

06 July, 2006 09:14  
Blogger luckytop said...

I totally agree with you about the fireworks. Maybe when a local politician's kid blows his hand off, the legislature will say "Hey, we need to ban these darn fireworks!" But probably not, at least while they continue to get hefty campaign contributions from the fireworks vendors.

11 August, 2006 11:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home