Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Daily Dose: I wonder if the camel made it through

Well now, I've always been something of a religious fellow, but not necessarily the church-going type. The "good" reverend has said his last sermon. What I got to wonder is where the man's heart was. He was full of hate more than love, but he was a great recruiter. Did he think he could buy his way in, tipping Peter and Gabriel like a bouncer at the club: "Here's a coupon for all those souls I brought in boss, and think of all the bibles and literature those millions I collected will buy." I'm afraid he might have gotten it wrong. I picture a mafioso type: "Tsk, tsk, tsk, Jerry Jerry, we caught you skimmin' a little off the top. Your payments have been light for some time now. I'm afraid we can't let you in. Da boss is gonna want to talk to you out back tho'. Wait right here."
Since I'm already going with the mob theme, I'm going to borrow a quote from The Godfather. Vito said "A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." I think a dishonest preacher with a bible can steal more than a hundred lawyers with briefcases. No man can judge another's soul, but Falwell's own words and actions spoke volumes about the kind of bigotry he professed. He might have brought a lot of folks to the fold, but was that enough? I think God will judge a man by more than recruitment. Falwell died a rich man, and we know what they say about that. May God have mercy upon your soul, Mr. Falwell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home