Saturday, August 12, 2006

Someone mentioned the movies

Nothing new about this, people have been saying it for the past few years, but I just have to wonder about the future of the cinema. Down below someone mentioned my comment about the families trying to sit together on a Southwest flight. I agree with you in that, I shouldn't be expected to give up my seat, and people should show up early enough, but these days it's not about getting to the airport, it's about getting on the computer. When's the last time you've seen an A boarding pass that was printed at the airport? Now it's not quite fair to penalize those who don't have a computer, some of us haven't even used these things until recently. In any event, I was adressing the herd mentality, that people will tolerate this treatment. And even with an A if youre travelling with more than maybe one or two people, you have to line up nearly an hour or more before boarding, not that cool if youre travelling with kids who are too old for pre-boarding, but not old enough to entertain themselves in line for that long. Anyway, it's the system that's broken. I heard that Southwest is actually testing assigned seating in some of their markets. When I fly alone, I don't even line up if I get an A, I'm usually the last one of that group to board. But with an assigned seat, there's a piece of mind of knowing where your seat is and if you're with someone, that they can sit next to you.
Back to the movies, the last movie I went to see was Pirates of the Carribean part 2. I made the mistake of going to the cinema over in the Westchase area, Veteran's I think it was. Now there's a couple of places where it seems babies are popping out like mushrooms after a good rain. Westchase, Brandon, Riverview. Anyway, lesson learned, I won't be attending films in those areas again. Who in their right mind think it's ok to bring a newborn into a theater? Or a toddler or even a kid who can't sit still? Sorry that having a kid cuts into your social life, but that's not my problem. If you can't get a babysitter, stay home. I mean, the one's that are at least polite, relatively speaking, enough to leave the theater when baby starts crying can't follow the story anyway, so what the devil is the point? Add that to the loud people who talk through the film, or laugh uproariously at not so funny parts(why do some people find someone bumping their head so hilarious?) in movies that are not comedys. It's not just me, I mean, in a theater full of people and two people laugh, and make such a commotion, there's gotta be some mental illness there or something I think. I won't mention cellphones, as everyone knows about those a-holes. It's not like there's not enough encouragement these days during the pre-movie crap. Speaking of pre-movie crap, I read somewhere that some theaters are starting to publish the actual movie start time instead of the start of the 30 minutes of advertising. What a refreshing change that would be. We drop 10 bucks a head on a ticket and then have to get innundated with a bunch of ads. For the film I mentioned above, we arrived quite early to the theatre, and didn't think too much about the time and just said two tickets to Pirates please. Well we intended on going to the 1:20 showing, but they gave us tickets to the 12:35 showing, at about 12:55. We went in, thinking we'd have to go back and get the right tickets, nope, we found seats and still had time for me to go get refreshments before the film started. Thanks advertisers.
Oh, and the crap they are pushing at us these days. When I read Big Momma's House 2 was the number one film earlier this year, my old heart almost stopped. The end is nigh, apocalypse is on us my friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger luckytop said...

I go to the movies at the premier theater at Centro Ybor. Yes, you pay more, but you get comfortable seats, free popcorn, adult beverages available and you can enjoy the movies without kids screaming and throwing popcorn. Even the adults there behave better than in an ordinary theater.

14 August, 2006 12:08  
Blogger Grumpy said...

I do occasionally attend the cinema at Centro Ybor Premier. I like the option of a fermented beverage if the mood strikes. I was quite surprised to find that if you go during the week before 5PM that you still pay a higher price but alcohol isn't served. That was something of a disappointment. However, after some recent experiences it might be worth it to keep the anklebiters from ruining a film.

14 August, 2006 21:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home