Sunday, January 07, 2007

The usual suspect

Well now, I never thought when I got to be my age I'd find myself at a home improvement store so often. But as luck would have it, all the puttering and tinkering I do around the old homestead has me in Home Depot way more often than I'd have figured. There's a few things about that store that bother me, but one has been gnawing on me for a while now. Lately I've been panhandled in the parking lot in every increasing frequency. I haven't run across this at other stores around, but this one it's happening more and more. Usually I call the manager and he/she assures me it will be taken care of.
I have sympathy for folks down on their luck, but hitting me up in the parking lot of Home Depot ain't the way to do it. Hell, folks come out of there wielding hammers, and two-by-fours, and might just be frustrated enough with one of them newfangled self-checkouts that they just might snap. Anyway, then I figured, why don't Home Depot pay those guys a nickle a cart or something for bringing em back in that would solve two problems at once. Nah, doubt that would work as the beggars probably wouldnt do it, and the bleeding hearts would cry that the cart caballeros were being taken advantage of. Oh well, guess I'll have to keep shaking a box of ten-penny nails at em to fend them off.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as people continue to give money to these leeches on the ass of society, then the panhandling will not only continue, but flourish. A recent local newspaper article stated that an area panhandler reported that he takes in about $75.00 (tax free of course) a day. I find it hard to believe that there are so many stupid people willing to hand out money, but obviously there are.

11 January, 2007 12:10  
Blogger Vox Populi said...

They do it to make you uncomfortable. Many of these 'homeless' are actually in the employ of organized crime and their goal is to harass you right out of Tampa. And, that, my friends, is the truth. They don't bother me anymore because they finally figured out I figured them out and it's a waste of their man-power-hours.

They probably wish I'd shut up about it but instead I like to think that other astute people will catch on and tell them to leave them alone and take their organized crime asses HOME.

Oh, and vote for Joe. He's the real thing while this other guy is a relative newcomer. I've seen joe
stick up for what's right. He comes by it naturally.

04 February, 2007 01:43  
Blogger Grumpy said...

Well now Mr. or Mrs. Pox, that's a mighty interesting theory you got going there. How about you write back when you are either on your prescription meds or off your non-prescription pharmaceuticals. I imagine Mr. Redner would thank you for your vote of confidence. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

05 February, 2007 10:59  
Blogger Vox Populi said...

LOL ... look closer.

I'm all natural unlike most others.

Follow them home. I watch em leave their house, borrow a kid and get dropped off at the Home Depot. They panhandle awhile and go on back home. They operate as a unit. Five or six of them or more just like they learned on the midway of some lives. If you can't see it, you're not looking.
If you deny it, you're just not gettin it. And I have wasted my time with you, but there are other readers here who will get it...
Have a good one !

05 February, 2007 19:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home