Friday, December 22, 2006

What is the point?

This one ain't so much about being grumpy, but just a bit of wonderin'. The past few years this phenomenon I'm gonna mention has grown to be just a bit farcical. I have a few friends and family members that even on up into our golden ages has insisted on exchanging gifts for the holiday. That in and of itself isn't the pointless part, as most folks, myself included, get some enjoyment out of giving. The silly part is what started as a while back as a single exchange has become a veritable pandemic of swapping gift cards. A thoughtful gift is one thing, but I don't really see most of these folks often enough to have any idea on what they need or want, nor they me. Additionally,when you get to be my age, you don't need any more stuff anyways. SO we have fallen into this giving each other $20 gift cards to some restaurant, or the movies. We might as well be handing each other a $20 bill. It's just silly. Besides I for one think that gift cards are no better than giving cash, which is just tacky. So finally this year I finally put my foot down. Supposedly, we're all in agreement that we just exchange christmas cards and well wishes. The thought is still there, and that's what counts right? It will be interesting to see if anyone caves.

3 Comments:

Blogger luckytop said...

So how did this experiment turn out?

28 December, 2006 16:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I prefer the gift card over cash. When given the gift of cash I quickly regift to the dopeman or my local friendly bartneder. Now a gift card to the grocery store when all the cash is gone... well comes in handy.

29 December, 2006 12:56  
Blogger Grumpy said...

Luckytop, it went about as expected. In general most folks followed through, but of course one dingbat did give us a gift even after saying we weren't going to. We all pleged next year however to give only charitable contributions if we felt we just had to give something. That's something I can certainly live with.

30 December, 2006 09:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home