Saturday, November 04, 2006

I want to tell furniture salespeople to "Sit on it"

The other day Mrs Grumpy dragged me into yet another furniture shopping adventure. There are few different activities in this world that I despise with a passion so strong that I could inspire a cult following with. You've probably already guessed that shopping for furniture must be one of these activities. You got it, hit the nail on the head, bingo, right on target. Yes absolutely I do indeed concur wholeheartedly. I'm sure a few of the others will find their way into the blog one of these days. Now, back to the furniture shopping. Why do these guys and gals, always seem to come straight out of sleazy used car lot? Furniture shopping for me is bad enough without being stalked, interrupted, and pressured to buy something. The wife and I walk in and are just browsing as many times we just don't know what we're looking for, if anything in particular anyway. Sometimes we're just shopping for the sake of shopping. Anyhow, we walk in and I hear the Jaws theme start to play. The fin pops up and they start circling, I give them the glare of doom, but it only makes them hesitate for an instant...."Hi, my name is Bob, I'll be glad to help you find what your looking for, and while I'm at it try to force our extended warranty, because you're a moron if you don't take that, and let me throw in a complimentary stain protection that will only cost you twice what the piece of furniture does!" Toothy grin...No thanks Bob, we're just looking at the moment...."well, my name's Bob, let me know if I can be of assistance!" Ok Bob, will do. Next we meander through the displays, Bob keeping a perfect 18.4 feet away so as to not seem intrusive. We pause momentarily at couch just to look at my watch and Woosh! Bob materializes like something out of Star Trek, "Isn't this a wonderful piece, I have the same one in my living room, is this a color you like or perhaps you want something a little darker, a little lighter, a little...." No Bob, we're actually just browsing. And so it goes, my Grumpmeter raising every encounter until finally we get fed up and move on to another store. What I have to wonder is does this generate more or fewer sales because I for one refuse to engage these type of sales people. If I happen to find a piece, I will intentionally avoid the annoying ones by coming back on another day so someone else gets commissioned. Occasionally I will get a person that greets us at the door, passes us a card or just his name and offers to help us, but then returns to his desk, counter, assigned spot, until we seek him out. That guy/gal will get my furniture business every time. Needless to say, shopping for cars is another of those activities, but I'll save that for another day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, MR Grumpy, I hate people who like you are just window shopping or as I hear all day long “Browsing”. Well don’t worry if you come into my store and say that to me, I automatically know that you are a waste of utter time. I mean really you don’t browses for furniture. You look at you tacky furnishings one day and say hey, I need a new couch, the old one smells like my butt. So you go out and look for one you like it is that simple. It is then my Job to leave my desk and come out and help you decided is this one fulfills you needs. That is my job, so don’t look bothered when a designer or a sales associate come sup and asks these questions to you, moron! We are suppose to be attentive, We also say things like, this is such a popular design, or I have one just like this so on and so forth. Because we are suppose to be excited about these items so you get excited becase we know that shopping for furniture can be an arduous task. So, now that I filled you in on the inner workings of the world of furniture sales and interior design I hope you know that we are there to help you and not just get a hold of your visa card. In the future I hope that you’ll keep these thoughts in mind so you don’t waste my time as well and make me grumpy. Because our stores are not tourist actractions they are places of business and if you have no business going into one if you aren’t going to do business.

16 December, 2006 17:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who in their right mind wakes up one day and says wow my couch smells like my butt, I'm going to buy a sofa today? That's not a conclusion one draws at a moment's notice.

I would venture to say if you polled people who shop for furniture the results would yeild that most people start their search online and then once they find a design and price they like they go to the store to test out the product for comfort and quality.

It's at that point that a purchaser would make the decision as to whether they need the assistance of a sale's person and seek them out if they are ready to purchase.

If you think that we the customer, the person who pays your commission is wasting your time. Take this advice and save yourself some inconvience. Give the person a second to get in the door and find the product they are looking for. When you see the person looking around that's your clue they need your assistance. Read the body language of the prospect and react accordingly.

The hardest part of sales is the interpersonal communication skills and from the sounds of it, that's an area you need assistance in.

18 December, 2006 13:23  
Blogger Addison said...

Wow, anonymous #1 doesn't seem to have much skill in the grammar department, and spelling seems to be in a clearance bin, so why is he calling you an idiot?

19 December, 2006 12:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home