Thursday, October 19, 2006

One sure way to make your vote not count

Kombatrock's comment

Mr Kombatrock, I do share your concerns regarding the current questionable voting practices and politics in this country. The system is definitely broken, and the worst result of these problems is the loss of faith it's creating in the electorate. What scares me the most is how this plays right into the hands of those currently in power. A loss of faith in the system means fewer voters and apathy completely favors the Status Quo. High voter turnout would make the good old boys quake in their boots. A smaller voter pool is easier to manipulate and non-voters don't ask too many questions about the results. I liken it to playing the lottery, or the old saying by Publishers Clearing House. You can't win if you don't play. One election might not turn it around, but if people show up to the polls in record numbers, and things seem fishy, there'd a whole lot more folks to answer to. Right now, too many times people don't question it because they didn't even go to the polls.
I never said I cornered the market on grumpy, I posted something about that back a few months ago. There's a little bit of Grumpy in all of us. And if I had a dream like the one you mentioned, my grumpmeter would have probably pegged out if not blew up altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home