Monday, October 09, 2006

Don't need a hearing aid with these folks

This weekend, the Mrs. and I went out to Olive Garden restaurant. I love that there Never-ending Pasta Bowl. Well we got there just before what I guess is the after church rush and were seated promptly in a booth next to a party of three. Well no sooner did we attempt to converse with each other did the Foghorn let loose. Then the Diesel Locomotive piped in and the Jet Engine responded to both. I've been around a long time and never in my life have I heard even one person speak as loudly during normal conversation as these three yahoos. My dear lord sitting 6 feet away from them was painful and I have partial hearing loss from years of operating heavy equipment when I was younger. No exaggeration folks, when I went to speak to Mrs. Grumpy I could not hear my own voice with the Jet Engine gal was speaking. We asked to be moved and were promptly reseated about 4 booths away. Shortly thereafter the Rock Concert's food arrived and things settled down. Here's the thing. I've noticed this more and more when I've gone out. People don't lean closer to each other to talk when they're in a noisy restaurant anymore they just get louder, and then even within their own group, they don't wait their turn they just talk over the other person and it's not long before the caucophony is like sitting next to Niagra Falls. Thats definitely was what was happening with these three, they were just raising their own volume instead of waiting their turn in the conversation. Thank goodness they at least didn't talk with their mouths full or I might not have been able to even order with out getting a bullhorn to speak to the waitress.

1 Comments:

Blogger luckytop said...

It all boils down to the manner in which our society has lowered its social standards and forgotten its manners. Everything is "Hooray for Me"! and "To Hell with the Next Guy!". Common courtesy is now a rarity.

11 October, 2006 07:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home