Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Do I need my passport to go grocery shopping?

I've intentionally avoided this topic until now, but last night was the last straw. I don't have a problem with folks coming over from other countries. That's what America is and was, a nation built by the pioneers from other nations who struck out to make a new and better life. I was out last night, and I needed a few items so I stopped into a store I don't normally frequent. We're not talking about a bodega, this was a mainstream chain, recently remodeled, all fancy and such.
I was pretty disgusted when I looked up to the store locater signs and every other line was in Spanish. It blew this old man's mind. Oh how we have come so far, that collecting a few more sawbucks is worth bending to those who refuse to make an effort to become real Americans. Language can be a great barrier to understanding, so I feel it is the part of the guest, visitor, or newcomer to make every effort to integrate. Every other immigrating people have made this effort. Language is also a major part of the identity of a nation and culture. Why now are we, as a people, the ones to give up part of our identity, just so we can sell a few more sacks of groceries? When I've traveled abroad, it was my responsibility to muddle my way through to communicate my needs and wants. Why do we spend so much money and effort to kowtow to the newcomers?
I hear so much about the work ethic and spirit and all the positive spin on immigrants, particularly the illegal immigration problem the nation is facing. Doesn't the fact that we cross the divide and print so much in Spanish imply that they aren't intelligent enough to learn English? I reckon that I'd feel insulted if I was making an effort to learn English and someone assumed I had to have it in Spanish, but that's just me.
I know this is a sore subject, but I had to say something. Let the arrows fly. Grumpy's got a thick hide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home