Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Fence sittin' is for birds and I don't see your wings

Some call it waffling, others say they're bein' wishy-washy. You might just call it indecision. Whatever you call it, I'd say most times even a bad decision is better than no decision. Just the other day I'm sitting at a light and a feller is walks up to the intersection(no walk/don't walk sign at this one) and he pauses, he looks at the road, then at us, the stopped traffic, then at the road again, then back at us, and takes a fair amount of time making up his mind. I'm pretty sure y'all can guess what happened. That's right he hoofs it across just about the time the light is turning green. If he would have committed himself to crossing after a safety check he'd have cleared the road just fine, but he wasted so much time decidin' that he put himself in harm's way. How about other situations? What do you want for dinner? I don't know, what do you want? Back and forth it goes, just make a damn decision already. It's not that hard.
Giving choices careful consideration is completely different from sittin' the fence. Seems like too many folks are afraid to commit and turn out wrong. There ain't nothing wrong with being wrong. Hell, we get more out of screwing up than we get out of getting it right, or even worse, gettin' lucky. And the real problem with fence sittin' is that all too many times nothing gets done until you make a choice. I'm here to tell you folks, time only goes one way, and you can't get it back once you let it go. Take your time sure, but unless someone is going to die or go broke on a bad choice, get on with it already. Just remember if you take too long, someone might die or go broke waiting on you.
I remember when I was a youngin' Sometimes I'd get to pick out what side items we were going to have with dinner. I'd stand in front of Memaw's pantry hemmin and hawin' trying to decide which vegetable I wanted and they were all so good, that it wasn't an easy choice. She'd finally tell me "Shit or get off the pot, dinner was waiting." Yep, she was a spitfire, but she was right. It didn't matter much what I picked, but we weren't eating until I did, so get on with it. So there you go. Shit or get off the pot, that reminds me of today's election and the candidates. I'll let you guess what I mean by that. Get your ass out and vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home