Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tampa voters, thanks for nothing.

Gather round youngsters and listen to a scary campfire tale. Be warned, this nearly-real story, happened right around here to a friend of a neighbor's uncle's cousin, honest. You might never sleep again, just so ya know. It happened oh so not long ago. You see there was this monster who went around exploiting good and decent folk, just like me and you, your brothers, your sisters, sons and daughters. He ate them up and spit them out. This big bad monster wanted to put dens of evil on every corner, fallen women on every block. He even wanted to recruit in schools for his army of darkness. He was the devil himself I tell ya. As part of his diabolical plan he was gonna establish the evil empire right here in good old Tampa Bay, and he was gonna do it with your help. All he had to do was get elected to office and the scheme was well on it's way...
As with many of these tales the monster was banished and the hero triumphant. Well, not quite. Sure, Tampa can sleep well. The big, bad boogieman was defeated, but that was no hero. More like a Frankenstein tale, the villagers rose up and defeated the monster. The victor wielded fear like a sword and used the electorate as a shield to thwart the usurper. I guess Tampa just wasn't ready for a stripper king. The nothing was their preference.
Granted, Mr. Redner didn't quite help his cause by the Jiggly Room offer, but pure and simple, this race was lost on fear. Miller's campaign resorted to scaring people to the polls to keep the Devil out. She couldn't present her initiatives because she had none. She couldn't stand on her record, because no one, including herself remembered it. So she resorted to that tried and true tactic of attacking character. Unfortunately it was all too easy, given Joe's past. I suppose it worked and we get four more years of yawns from the district one seat. The victor is spoiled or something like that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vox Populi said...

grumpy, you done us proud with this post.
I can only imagine the churches around tampa and their secret plans to VOTE VOTE VOTE ....

Too bad. It would have been very cool to have Joe there. I probably would have gone to every meeting or even gotten cable ... whoo hooo.
good post. glad you recovered from that randy baron thingy ...

28 March, 2007 13:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grumpy, I enjoyed your post as always. However, these comments are really silly. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything in the post about "Bible thumpers" or "the church's...secret plans." I find it funny what lengths some people will go to just to attack the church (which they probably know very little about). Thanks for the highly entertaining and informative blog Grumpy. As for you commenters, I don't know who your people are, but you are not the "voice of my people."

29 March, 2007 07:10  
Blogger Grumpy said...

Anonymous,
While I imagine there might have been some motivatin done by some of the church-folk, I'm pretty sure there were plenty of God-fearing folk that voted for him too. People are tired. Unfortunately too many folks were either too worried about his past, or not truly informed enough to know Gwen has been just taking up space on the council for years, and most likely will continue to do no more than that. I heard that Gwen's campaign callers were hyping up the strip joint thing and the black comment, and Joe certainly didn't help himself with his behavior of late. I appreciate the compliment anonymous, thank you kindly.

Vox(just make sure that ain't the voices of the people in your head, ha ha I'm just ribbing you), if Randy runs again, I'll vote for him. I honestly think he has a firmer grasp of the issues than Joe does, and more ability to get things done. I won't discount Joe in any future race, but he doesn't get my vote automatically either.

Luckytop, I agree that Joe was his own worst enemy and he may never outrun his past, but I think it was Gwen's staff that did the fearmongering more than the churches. I get the feeling that the eastern Hillborough County churches are much more political than those in Tampa proper.

29 March, 2007 19:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home