Thursday, May 24, 2007

One light, two light, red light blue...nope another red light

Thankfully it never turned into a blue light, but I was starting to wonder the way things were going. Ever have one of those days? You have all the stuff planned out just so and once the first domino topples, the rest of the day is spent playing catch up. But you never do. It's like driving around and hitting every red light, well it's not really like that, part of the trouble is exactly that. Not only can I not find my keys and then the garbage needs to be taken out, then I realize Mrs. Grumpy's car is on the outside and there goes another few minutes. Before I realize it, I'm leaving home 15 minutes late and the cycle starts. I reach the first intersection, a stop sign. Low and behold not just one, but a line of cars are on parade. The clock keeps ticking. First light, oh I think I can make it. Nope. It turns red at the last second, that brick wall of a moment where you know you'll run it if you don't briskly and firmly apply the brakes right now. OK, so I wait. It's not so bad, I gave myself a few extra minutes in preparation. Here goes 2 or 3 of them. The upside is I am first in line. The light turns, I push that pedal and off I go. Now, I don't jackrabbit off the line, but Grumpy's never been one to dally at the green either. That's why I'm always amazed at the folks that think Old Betsy's itchin' for a race. Today is one of those days. Billy Joe Jimbo seems to think this Old Man is lined up for Gator Nationals. Off he goes no problem, no skin off my back, until half a block later the jackass cuts me off and slams on the brakes to make a left. Of course traffic is coming the other direction so its complete stop and wait time. There goes another minute or so. Blood pressure ratchets up a bit too. And so it goes, every light seems to have my number today. Red light. Red light. A City bus stops. Red light. Detour. Red light. Left turning traffic. Red light. Even those intersections with no cross traffic are conspiring. I'm beginning to feel battle-weary. I don't know if I'm going to make it. C'mon Betsy, we can do it old mule. It's not much further. When it's all over I finally arrive at my first destination only 5 minutes late, but aged much more. Lifes a funny little dance because next time I'll leave 5, maybe 10 minutes earlier and the imps will light up all the greens and then I'll get there a half-hour early. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Coel said...

who's mrs grumpy, your wife? I guess I'm wrong, you must be single. er...no offends.

29 May, 2007 07:59  
Blogger Grumpy said...

Mrs. Grumpy is the sunshine that parts my clouds, the melody on the breeze when all is still, her smile it quickens my pulse, her voice the song that soothes this savage beast.

30 May, 2007 08:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home