Monday, August 21, 2006

Love Ain't Blind, Just Nearsighted

Luckytop mentioned in a previous comment about a pet peeve of his. It will come as no suprise that I have a whole petting zoo of the little critters. Today I will explore one of those.
My wife comes up to me from time to time and poses some variation of the age-old question that makes most men cringe. "Do these pants make my butt look big?" All kidding aside (No, your butt makes your butt look big), and barring the rules of Clinton and Stacy, clothes don't really determine if youre attractive or not, particularly when your in a long term relationship. Nor does make up, or hairstyle or any of those things. Now, I can't speak for everyone, but I have had quite a number of conversations on the topic to the point I feel I can make at least some generalizations. It ain't about the clothes, it aint about your weight, or your hair, or your wrinkles. It's about you and how you feel about yourself. Obvious right. It's what they all say I know. But by God it's true. Some of the most attractive women I have ever met over the years were by outward appearance what some would call plain, or frumpy, or chubby, but they liked themselves, and after even a moment of talking to them you couldn't see anything but a beautiful, funny, warm lady. On the other hand, I've known a few gals that if you saw them across a room, you'd think, playboy material, then you talk to them and whoa, where did this troll come from. Pretty on the outside, but a hideous little beasty hiding within. The sad thing about this is, my first wife was a prime example of how a pretty woman can overcome the most enamored of rose-colored glasses if she tries hard enough. I fell in love with a girl. We were both too young, but life being what it is, no one could tell us differently. She was the most beautiful thing for the first couple of years. She was never a thin girl, and she never wore much make up, but she was a beauty queen in my eyes. Then as life would have it, she started becoming more and more obsessed with being overweight. And the more she focused on it, the more I focused on it. The more self-concious she became, the more flaws I could see. It aint what caused the divorce at all, but it sure didn't help the other problems we had. Most men I've talked to want nothing more than a gal who takes pride in her appearance, who thinks she's pretty no matter what Cosmo says, laughs at our stupid jokes(sincerely, not just faking it), and who accepts our flaws. Like a couple of old sayings my old grandpappy used to tell us whippersnappers, Beauty's only skin deep, ugly goes all the way to the bone, Amen. and regarding makeup,well he wasn't referring to makeup, but the sentiment still works, You can paint a turd any color you want and all you still have is a painted turd. As always, it's just one old man's opinion. Grumpmeter is level 3 today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home