Wednesday, May 30, 2007

One step forward, how many steps back?

I noticed driving through downtown that they've started restriping some of the streets with bike lanes. I hope they continue that, because right now those lanes kinda stop and start from one block to the next it would make it hard for those biking guys and gals if they can't have a continuous lane to get where they're going. It would be painful to see those poor folks ride a block, get off the bike, and walk it to the where the next bike lane begins. Or they'd have to have a chase car for those unstriped sections since they might be far apart. Can't we give em a lane to go the whole way? You know, I'd like to see Tampa become more bike friendly, especially with the prices of gas these days. I'm noticing more and more folks at the bus stops too. I guess it won't be too long before we all might have to start thinking about different ways to get around. I'd like to see Tampa become more people friendly because the metal boxes with wheels that we lock ourselves away in for hours a day only go to promote selfishness and discourtesy. If more of us were able to bike or walk or ride the bus, I think we'd all get along a little better. Pedestrians can say good morning as they pass, bikers can ding that little bell thingy. They still have those? Well maybe not, but they'd still have the chance to wave and pass a greeting, or at least an enthusiastic "On the left!" as they go by. Folks riding the bus could form fast friendships or at least talk about the weather. I think if I ever ran for office that I'd make a point to walk around and ride the bus, or train if we get one and get the scoop from street level. Really hear what's on people's minds. I think making Tampa more people friendly starts with making it less car friendly so maybe there's a silver lining to the high prices.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see someone who gets that bike lanes are not just for lycra-clad athletes. They're part of what makes a community livable. They're a community asset.

30 May, 2007 21:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home