Friday, February 02, 2007

Why Tampa?

I've been around this town quite a while. I was born here, moved away, moved back, moved away, moved back. Most of my family living here has been the primary motivator for my settling here, but I gotta wonder. Not too many folks I meet have any long-term ties to Tampa, so I am curious as to what the attraction is. Don't get me wrong, it ain't a terrible place to live, but I don't think if I was footloose and fancy free, Tampa would be that dot on the map I'd pick to call home. Is it the weather? It can't be the culture, we're still a few decades behind the curve in that area. I was taking in a show at the Performing Arts Center a while back and there was a fella in attendance in ratty jeans and a t-shirt. I just rolled my eyes and thought "Only in Tampa, but, at least he's actually going to the theatre." It's true though, Tampa has always had this air of the proletariat about it. I guess in some ways, it is endearing, homey even. However it's also left a feeling of stagnation. Folks just keep moving in, but progress is lagging way behind. I used to brag to folks about Tampa traffic, or lack thereof. Friends that lived in cities of similar size had their rush hours and gridlock, and I'd just whiz to work and home. No longer, more and more folks with more and more cars moved in and the system just didn't keep up. And, there ain't any alternatives to driving. Stormwater, same thing, more development, and the infrastructure just didn't keep up. Water usage, every year we gotta restrict how and when we use water. That means that we haven't kept up. Can we catch up? It hardly seems likely. What I wonder though, and back to the original question. Why do so many folks pick Tampa as a place to move? If it's the weather, will a big hammer of a hurricane send folks scurrying away? Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question Grumpy. I lived in a small western Pa. town and had decided that I had all I could take of local attitudes and a terrible local economy. I was planning on moving to Pittsburgh, but then some of my close family moved to FL, and I decided that I would too. I had visited many times and had liked it. I picked Tampa because it was a large city on the west coast. I had never actually been in Tampa before moving here though. That was over 11 years ago, and I have never regretted it. I like the hot weather and sunshine. I have visited many US cities that I like also, but I am staying put. Despite the lack of culture, its not a bad place to live. Sure beats western PA!

02 February, 2007 12:24  
Blogger IFly said...

I was born in Tampa, but if I had not been transferred back to town, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be living here today. I took the job I have now in the hopes of moving away from Tampa and found myself back here anyway. I think the city and the area as a whole has a lot of potential, but I am uncertain if it will ever live up to it. I am ever hopeful and will probably always have some ties to the area no matter where I end up. And Grumpy, even I can remember when traffic wasn't the issue it is today, oh the good old days.

02 February, 2007 12:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I answer the question in My Blog 'TampaIAm'. Check out from December 2006 entry 'Why Tampa?'.

http://tampaiam.blogspot.com/

02 February, 2007 13:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home