Friday, February 09, 2007

For exceptional service

I was in a coffee shop a little while back and the tip jar had those words taped on it. That little phrase resonated with me. That and a few incidents lately got me to thinking about this whole tip thing. Why and how much do most folks tip? Where did it get started, and how did it get to where we are today? Without getting into all the rules of etiquette and the different service providers such as barbers, and deliverymen, I just want to give you Grumpy's take on waiters and waitresses and other folks that serve you food and drink. I was always brought up that tipping was to show someone how well they performed their job. That, a flat fee would never ensure high quality consistent service. Now I don't know if that second part is completely true, but I can say that with some of the traveling I've done, states where folks get at least minimum wage to wait tables, the average service is noticeably worse than here in Florida. But there were many occasions where the service was stellar by comparison. So when it was good, it was very very good. Here in Florida, the service is usually more consistently decent, but rarely is it ever great. I think that might be because folks here have to at least keep the customer happy to get a decent paycheck, where in those states where they at least get a minimum wage, the customers have less direct influence on what they make. I've also seen over the years that people have been averaging higher and higher on the standard tip, most of the diners I've noticed are closer to around 20%. I've also noticed all to much automatic tipping regardless of service. A waitress brings the food, but no refill on the drink and 20 minutes later happens by the table without even an apology for the empty glasses. My associates still throw down their 20% tip. Well now, didn't we just approve the crappy service, and reinforce that sort of nonsense. Now some folks have said, well you should have just gone up to the bar, or called on another waiter. Well, maybe I ought to just go to self service restaurants, or waitresses and waiters who force customers to do things like that should go work at McDonald's. I have a very simple metric for tipping most of the time. If a server keeps my drink glass from going empty, they will get 15-20%, if it gets empty, but only briefly, it drops to somewhere around 10%, if it goes empty for too long, you will get nothing, and either a note to the manager or a call from me. If I get above average service, my tip goes 25-30% Hell, the first time I ate at Bern's I was so impressed I left close to a 50% tip. So for any servers out there, when you spend that extra 10 minutes gossiping in the back, you might just be ruining a hell of a tip. I may be Grumpy, but honestly, I've never said a cross word, or had anything but a smile when I sit down at my table. Anyhow, lets get back to that exceptional service. I like that motto, for anyone who provides a routine readily defined service, why should I tip if all you are doing is your job? The folks at Starbucks drive through, 99% of the time I pull up, I order, I pull up, hand money, get change get coffee, and leave. No genuine smalltalk, my coffee isn't prepared any more quickly than the fellow in front of me, or the gal behind me, why the tip jar? I imagine a lot of folks automatically put some of their change in the jar after the money changes hands, but at that point, what exceptional service have you received? You haven't got your coffee yet. You could sit there another 5 minutes while the person gabs it up, or helps someone else. You can't take the tip back if you become less than satisfied with the service, stick your hand in that jar sonny and see how that works for you. It's a gimmick. And you're seeing it more and more places. It would be better if they put a charity jar there for the impulse donation than call it a tip jar. Now that I think about it, I should carry a tip jar around all day for all those little things I do. If I open the door for someone, shake the tip jar. How about if I let you in line because you have a couple items and I have a whole lot, shake the tip jar. Let you out in traffic ahead of me, shake the tip jar. I bet I could make a fortune, in this day and age, all those little things seem to be exceptional service.
Well folks, how do you tip? What makes good service stand out from just what should be a minimum standard? Are you an automatic tipper, or do you actually consider the level of service you receive and pay accordingly? Don't worry, Old Grumpy's blog is still free, I ain't got a tip jar yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger luckytop said...

I reserve 20% for exceptional service. Acceptable, but not outstanding service gets 15% or so. Inattentive, lackadaisical service gets 10% or less. I have no qualms about leaving nada for poor service. I know many people who just give 20% no matter what service they get, and I think that defeats the purpose of tipping.

09 February, 2007 15:52  
Blogger swanman79 said...

I have to agree with you kind sir. I am a server at a highly recognized restaurant. Recently I read many blogs concerning peoples thoughts and reactions to the whole tipping thing. I was really impressed by the tip jar idea. Anyway, I don't want to write you a novel, I just thought that I would say, thanks for seeing it from another viewpoint. I'm new to this blog thing, but I have some thoughts check it out at tippingisokaybut.blogspot.com if I set it up right. Thanks again!

18 March, 2007 00:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home